Sunday, August 16, 2009

Preserving Perfection...

Rhubarb.
Rhubarb is perfection.


I cleaned out and cleaned up the rhubarb
bed this week while I was home to the mountains.
There has been a lot of rain and the weeds
and rhubarb were out of hand.

See, all better.
And I decided to make preserves instead
of just freezing it this time.
The preserves last longer than the frozen.
I tend to eat too much if I turn
it into rhubarb cobbler.
With the preserves I can have a little on the biscuit
many times over.


Rhubarb is pretty stuff.
I chopped it and set it to cook down
I ended up having to use my
hand blender on this batch.
The stalks were a bit old and very stringy.
When I would stick the spoon in to stir
it would become entangled.
So, I made rhubarb goo instead.

I washed and sterilized the jars,
filled them and into my water bath canner.



I love my old water bath canner.
I think it is from the 40's.
I got it at the thrift store for $4!
Woo Hoo!!
I love the rack inside too.
It makes taking the jars in and out
so much easier.


Isn't that a lovely sight?

Sitting and cooling.
One didn't seal
and it lives in my fridge
ready to use.
I need to make biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment